Tobacco Abuse: Alarming Facts
- Every Day 80000 to 100000 young people start smoking.
- 14% of the Worlds young age 13-15 years use tobacco.
- 1.3 billion users in the world.
- 84% in developing countries and transitional economies.
- Rising smoking and prevalence rates amongst children and adolescent.
- Tobacco is responsible for 30% of all deaths.
- Smokers have 2 to 3 times more death rate as compared to the non smokers of the same age group.
- 1 billion people may die in 21st century due to tobacco.
- By the year 2030 12 million deaths expected per year due to tobacco.
- Eventually tobacco will kill about 650 million of the people alive today exceeding deaths from HIV, TB, Malaria, Accidents, Maternal Mortality, Homicides and Suicides jointly.
- Tobacco and its smoke has over 4000 Chemical Compounds out of which over 60 are carcinogens causing 10 different Cancers.
- In India age group 13 to 15 years prevalence is 17.5% all forms, 14.6% smokeless, 8.3% smoking. 2/10 boys and 1/10 girls use tobacco.
- Environmental Tobacco Smoke (ETS) has over 4000 chemical compounds and 43 carcinogens.
- The only consumer product that kills its user.